Oct 01 2006
Notes for INSET @ Highwood Player Infants
Aims for the session:
- To give you some real, creative and practical examples of ways to embed the use of the IWB in your teaching.
- Tom Barrett
- Year 6 classteacher
- ICT Subject Leader
- Assistant Headteacher
- I have been using IWBs for the last 5 years in my teaching.
5 Ways in for Free
1. Ferry Halim
Non-educational site providing a wealth of beautifully created games. Ideal for early whiteboard or mouse skills. Links to these skills I have highlighted in my Ferry Halim Guidance document.
A maths programme that needs no internet access and runs as a small piece of software downloaded in seconds. Its uses range from sorting according to colour, shape number of eyes etc – to data handling and creating pictograms and bar charts. DOWNLOAD IT HERE
4. Northumberland Grid for Learning
Some excellent activities for early mouse and whiteboard skills; such as connect the dots and dress the teddy.
5. Using Digital Photographs
Where is your troll?!
Taking photographs using the digital camera and feeding these into a literacy activity.
Instructional texts – link with science and forces. Year 2
Class went outside with skateboard, TA with a digital camera recorded each step when discussing how to skateboard. TA returned to class and loaded the pictures into whiteboard software (also printed small pictures off and photocopied for other independent work) – lower ability children were asked to work independently (could be supported initially by TA) to put the photographs into the correct order. Highly motivated and completed the task successfully.
Your next steps
- Make the most of online resources – get the children using the boards with the Ferry Halim games.
- Approach the IWB as a tool that can be used in every part of the lesson – from shared to independent to plenary.
- Never worry about doing something that works perfectly well without an IWB; you are allowed to switch them off! – Just be aware of and reflect upon the choices you make.
- Share your experiences regularly with each other. Have a fortnightly clinic session or make time for getting excited about successes in staff meetings.
- Perhaps plan an IWB related target for performance management – as the development of IWB skills will be something that is already happening and is part of the School Development Plan
Giving Feedback for this session
At the very bottom of the post is a link to COMMENTS please leave your feedback in this way and if there are any questions or queries in the future please feel free to add a comment or contact me and I will try my best to help.
HANDOUT from the session with these notes.