Oct 22 2009

LearningTech Newsletter Issue#1

Published by under Newsletter and tagged:

In my continued efforts to support the staff at my school navigate the ever evolving landscape of educational technology, I have begun producing a fortnightly email newsletter.

When sat writing it for the first time a few weeks ago I hit upon a nice set of regular sections I could easily update every 2 weeks. I have written them using Google Docs, then published the doc, and then shared the link with staff via email. (Plus a PDF copy too)

• IN THE NEWS
  • TOM’S TECH TIP
  • AROUND SCHOOL
  • HAVE A GO!
  • WEBSITE WATCH
  • MY TEACHERS TV PICK
  • FROM MY TWITTER NETWORK

Many colleagues in my Twitter network have asked to see the newsletter and so I have caved  in to popular demand. Please understand that this is primarily aimed at helping the colleagues at my school, however I am sure you will still find something useful.

LearningTech Newsletter Issue 1 (October 2009)

Download PDF version (No printing allowed!)

The second issue is out soon and I will post the link on here too. Please take a minute to drop me a comment if you use the newsletter in school. Also let me know what you think as it would be great to get some feedback from you all as well.

3 responses so far

3 Responses to “LearningTech Newsletter Issue#1”

1.   David Trusson 22 Oct 2009 at 10:36 pm

Hey Tom,
    Great job with the newsletter! I think it is important when doing a ‘newsletter’ such as this that the reader has to click outside of email to actually view it, and so a Google docs a great idea!
    I did one a while back via a blog post: http://datruss.wordpress.com/category/digital-magic/
    By putting the post on my (seldom used) blog and linking to the category rather than the individual link, I didn’t have to change my link address and older newsletters automatically loaded below the most recent one.
    I like your regular sections and think that if I redo my newsletter, (my current staff can’t see my wordpress blog in China), then I might do that. One semi-regular section that I used was “Things that make you go hmmmm…” which I hoped would inspire conversations about learning. Another thing that I did was to feature what some of my teachers were doing. I love your ‘From My Twitter Network’ section, it models the power of shared learning and developing a PLN.

2.   Glenys Lowdenon 23 Oct 2009 at 10:15 am

Thanks Tom. I really enjoyed reading the newsletter. I have used Wordle for a variety of different activities in the Library. It was great to pick up the tip about using Windows then D to clear to the desktop–a great little tip!

Cheers
    Glenys
    Head of Library
    Lowther Hall
    Essendon Victoria
    Australia

3.   David Rogerson 24 Oct 2009 at 9:53 am

Hi Tom,

Great idea. I may use your structure for a similar newsletter at my school – many thanks for the inspiration.

i particularyly like the ‘Tom’s tip’ section. So many ICT competent people assume that everyone knows the basics

Best wishes

David