More about me

I am Tom Barrett and this is my professional blog, a space that will act as a sounding board for my ideas and thoughts on using educational technology in my classroom.

You can learn more about me in my LinkedIn profile.

I am currently working in a large primary and nursery school in north Nottinghamshire, England – Robin Hood country!

Year 5 6 is the class that I am teaching (Grade 5/6) and I thoroughly enjoy the challenge.

My responsibilities at school are the class primarily then:

• Assistant Headteacher
  • ICT subject leader
  • Assessment coordinator

30 thoughts on “More about me

1. I have just come across your page and it fascinates me! I am a complete novice to all this and am searching for information on school blogs and anything that will move my school on into the 20th century. Do you ever have time to show people around your ICT department or even visit mine to help me move it on?

Many thanks for all I have just read. I will certainly keep visiting your blog!

2. Hi – glad that you find the blog informative and yes please visit and read regularly!

In answer to your question – we do have lots of visitors at school and we would of course welcome you to have those sorts of conversations. However I am just a normal teacher with class commitments so my time is pretty limited.

But please contact me via the blog and I can do what i can to help.

๐Ÿ™‚

3. Tom – I’m a journalist on the TES (Times Educational Supplement) magazine and I’m writing a story on school websites. Mandy Barrow, who runs the website of Woodlands Junior school, mentioned to me that you are doing a lot of good work with wikis in schools, and that this is something schools should do more of. I wonder if you would be able to give me a call? My number is 0207 782 3077. Many thanks – Stephen Manning, TES magazine.

4. Thanks for leaving a message after my recent professional development comment on HeyJude – and glad to hear that you also think that 2007 is going to be a great year for educators in a Web 2.0 world. Each of us has a llittle something to share with others. I think I will enjoy sharing your blog with my teachers – particularly the wiki tab,which shows really nicely how you have used wikispaces effectively – and linked it to your blog. Now all we need to do is get a few more ‘flat classroom’ projects going across the globe. Perhaps you would be interested some time? Cheers, Judy

5. Hi Tom,

Would you please email me, I am having trouble with the email address that I have for you?

Thanks

6. Hi Tom,

Please email me, I have something relating to technology and education I wanted to send you.

Regards,

Walter Ocner
    Affect Strategies

7. Hi Tom,

I am a final year Uni student and I have been working the last month or so on a tool for students to organise their school work. I have currently been developing the site to meet my own needs as a University student and as such I would love to have a chat with you, as an educator interested in ICT in the classroom, with features that teachers/pupil might like to see.

If you could drop me a line at the e-mail address below that would be great! I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
    Tom

8. Hello Tom,

I am Gloer, I am the ICT Coordinator and Computer Lab In-charge in our school, wanna ask strategy from you on how teachers can integrate in their lesson the use of ICT.

Thanks!

9. Hi Gloreen
    there is lots of examples of practice throughout this blog – is there anything specific you want to know?
    Tom

10. Tom – I found your blog and experiences of using this technology in the classroom interesting – a coupe of questions really – 1) do you have any experience of using message forums in the classroom and 2) can I include a link to your blog from our school website at http://www.learningplatforms.info

Thanks. Jim Fanning/Tideway School/Newhaven/East Sussex.

11. Tom – I also teach 6th graders in geography. I teach in Fort McCoy, Florida. I love your wikispace on Google Earth. I would love to know how you made that little video like clip showig all the continents.

12. I WOULD LIKE TO UTILISE THE BLOGS TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT TO MY SCIENCE AND MATHS STUDENTS OF YEAR LEAVEL 7 – 10. PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE DETAILS.

13. Hi Tom,

I’m a learning technologist working at the University of Hertfordshire. Part of my role involves supporting staff in the use of wikis and blogs, particularly the pedagogy aspects. Shortly I will be involved in teaching primary Ed student teachers in this area. I’ve found the resources you have provided and linked to in the classroomblogging wiki to be excellent. Thank you for sharing these.

14. Hi Andrew
    thanks for the comment of appreciation – please let me know if I can help in anyway with your primary ed students. Best wishes.

15. Hi Tom–I’m a Tech Resource Teacher in Virginia (U.S.) preparing for a state technology conference (Breaking Into the Mind of the Unmotivated Student: Lowering a Teacher’s Stress Level) and am overwhelmed by all that’s out there with tech and keeping my talk to 60″. Your post has helped lower MY stress level. I will be working in England this summer (first time in the UK) and had dinner with a British military guy and his wife recently (I live near Norfolk, Va). Talk about nervous! I kept wondering if they were looking at me and thinking, “These Yanks certainly can kill the Queen’s english!” ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Pingback: nomadcom.net ยป Twitter an unique communication tool.

17. Hi Tom. Great thoughts on ICT in teaching & learning. Thanks. I am in South Australia but have a student from Nottingham in my class so he’ll be pleased that I’ve found you. ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Hi Tom,

Very nice wiki, great navigation and super content. I have been working on a website for my 3rd year Geography dissertation in Ireland. It is attempting to create a platform for Google Earth in Irish Education. The biggest problems I have incountered have been around the blocking power of the schools internet filtering body in Ireland (NTCE). It tooks weeks to get off the ground with anything remotely web 2.0. Teachertube is the only video sharing site we can use, and probably the slowest. It drives me mad that anyone in education with an interest in developing communication technology between schools is put off instantly. I am in contact with people in the UK such as Jamie Buchanan-Dunlop at http://www.digitalexplorer.com, it seems you have the same problems. Anyway, it would be good if you would link my site. I will do likewise.
    Lovely work
    Richard

19. Hi,

I am a teacher teaching in a Singapore school.
    Chanced upon your website and looking at all your efforts to integrate IT into classroom teaching…. really really inspire me.
    Great job and keep it up.

I was disillusioned as was trying real hard to cope with additional admin dutie but seeing how passionate you are .. I am truly inspire..

Thank you.

20. I’ve just stumbled across your blog and I love it–I think it’s terrific!!

However, it is not perfect–the jargon has thrown me for a loop; what does “ICT” mean?

–Dan

21. Hello Tom,
    I know right where you are! We attended a family wedding last year in Burton-Upon-Trent and had a blast with my two teens. I am in the process of final editing our Biomes of the World Google Earth Tour. I will be happy to post it here when I get the last 20 or so placemarks checked for spelling and copyright violations!
    Robin Martin

22. Pingback: Tapping into technological innovation in the classroom | Tania Kennedy at UTS

23. My goodness…with all these HUGE jobs, when do you eat and sleep?! We are hosting some visitors from the UK to our district in early February. I believe they are from Telford. I am anxious to meet them and share ideas.

Your blog is very informative and exciting to read. My next goal is to twitter….and I trying to determine how I will use it… usefully!

Thank you for creating such a great site for visitors from afar like myself.

24. Pingback: Recent Links Tagged With "placemarks" - JabberTags

25. Pingback: Interesting ways to use…. by Tom Barrett « Rhondda’s Reflections – wandering around the Web

26. Pingback: 1/6 Tech Tip: Google Forms for Assessment | EdTech Tips & Tricks